RILHEVA manages OPC-UA
What is OPC-UA?
It is a standard protocol to exchange data created in 2008 and focused on cloud-based networks, currently used by different PLCs.
OPC-UA, Open Platform Communications Unified Architecture, simplifies communication by using discovery functions to quickly find all devices to connect to and to receive/send data.
OPC-UA standard has been used in different fields such as:
- Oil & gas
- Food & beverage
- Waste management and pharmaceutical
OPC-UA Protocol benefits
Using OPC-UA communication protocol for cloud, you achieve the following benefits:
- Compatibility with all leading PLC manufacturers
- It is bidirectional natively
- Self-configuring: all connected devices are immediately available and usable for data exchange
- Grants security standards, such as transmission authentication, authorization, integrity and privacy
- High quality performances even in case of hundreds signal managed
- Any device that uses OPC-UA suites to Rilheva
Two examples of setup
Using OPC-UA protocol on PLC, PLC actually acts as a OPC-UA Server and Cloud Rilheva is therefore a OPC-UA Client.
In case PLC has no internet connectivity, a gateway has to be used to establish communication.
In this setup, Client must reach the Server and this can be achieved in 2 ways:
- Enabling a VPN channel between PLC and RILHEVA IIoT Platform
- Expose PLC on Internet through a public IP, adding security rules for access control and accepting communication from Rilheva Cloud only.
We strongly recommend the first choice: using VPN grants higher communication security.